I love ready rolled pastry, I think for those quick meal preps or those like me who don’t know how to make their own pastry just yet it is a great item to have in the house. For us it is quick a luxury and doesn’t happen often, we live quite frugal lives and don’t like to spend too much on food. But at £1.30 Tesco’s own brand of puff pastry, you can’t go wrong. I fed 2 people with a large portion and a small side salad and it was great, I halved the pastry to get 2 meals from it. Feeding 4+ you can opt to use the same half and mix with a side salad, coleslaw or even some vegetable chips. It is quick and easy and has all the flavour you could ask for. You can alternatively switch up the toppings each time you do it to keep the recipe fresh. This can be made to be for meat eaters, vegetarians and also vegans. I know there are brands that do vegan puff pastry out there so it is possible.
- Ready rolled puff pastry
- diced onion
- chopped mushroom
- Tomato puree
- Handful of grated cheese or crumble of feta cheese
- heat a frying pan with a little oil/ frylight, once hot add in the chopped onion and cook until golden.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until soft. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Place baking paper or foil on a baking tray and lay out the rolled pastry. Depending on how many you want cook for if you use half the pastry sheet you can feed 2 people or 4 on the full sheet. Prod small holes in the base using a fork to let heat through to cook the base.
- use roughly 2-4 tablespoons of tomato puree to cover the base, leave a plain pastry border around the edge to create a crust. Use the back of a spoon to spread the tomato puree base out smoothly.
- Add on the topping and spread out around the pastry base.
- Sprinkle on the cheese topping and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Cook until the pastry has risen around the edges and is golden brown.
- Cut up into slices and serve with a nice side salad.
This meal is great to have for a light lunch, as an indulgent but non-greasy pizza night in or just as a quick meal. It is great for the kids to be involved and to be creative in the kitchen and for you to create something sophisticated to show off at your next dinner party. Let me know what creations you come up with in the comments. I would love to try out your versions and be inspired to make more. 🙂